The following is a list of sites that document various density-functional theory based electronic structure codes, both periodic and molecular, and atomic pseudopotential codes. This list is no way comprehensive, nor makes any representation of what the codes do, beyond the most superficial observations (being predominantly a molecular code vs. being predominantly a periodic code, local orbital vs. plane wave). We welcome suggestions of additions and corrections.
DFT production codes
Periodic codes (principally)
Local orbital basis codes
- QUEST: SeqQuest – gaussian basis pseudopotential code
- SIESTA – numerical atom-centered basis pseudopotential code
- CRYSTAL – CSE – gaussian basis all-electron code
- FHI-AIMS – (commercial license) full potential, all-electron, numerical orbitals
- OpenMX – GPL – numerical atom-centered basis PP code (Ozaki group)
All-electron (augmented methods) codes
- ELK – GPL – FP-LAPW
(one branch from the old EXCITING code)
- EXCITING – FP-LAPW, focus on excited state properties (TDDFT, MBPT)
[license not apparent on website, probably open source]
(another branch from the old EXCITING code)
- FLEUR – "freely available" – FLAPW code
- RSPt – "Open Source" – FP-LMTO
- WIEN2k – modest fee – full potential LAPW
Plane wave and related (real space, wavelet, etc.) methods
- ABINIT – GPL
- BigDFT – GPL – wavelets
- Quantum-Espresso (formerly PWscf) – GPL
- PEtot – GPL
- DACAPO – GPL
- Socorro – GPL
- JDFTx formerly known as DFT++ – GPL
- PARSEC – GPL – real space, pseudopotential
- CP2K – GPL (mixed basis DFT)
- GPAW – GPL – real-space multigrid PAW code
- QBOX – GPL – plane wave pseudopotential, large parallel
Molecular codes (principally)
- Octopus – GPL – real space TDDFT code
- DMol3 – Accelrys Materials Studio
- Jaguar – Schrodinger, Inc.
- MondoSCF (no license info, but appears "free")
- ADF – SCM
- CADPAC – The Cambridge Analytic Derivatives Package
- PYQUANTE – GPL – python-based development toolset for DFT/HF
- TURBOMOLE – DFT and HF for large molecular systems
DFT atomic pseudopotential codes
- fhi98PP pseudopotential program
This is a well engineered, freely available package to generate pseudopotentials of either the Hamann form or the Troullier/Martins form. It is the code we use for generating new pseudopotentials for Quest.
- Paolo Giannozzi’s Notes on pseudopotential generation
A wide-ranging discussion of practical issues that go into constructing pseudopotentials.
- Martin Fuch’s Notes on using fhi98pp to generate PP for plane wave codes
This contains a particularly good (i.e. useful) discussion of detecting/avoiding ghost states with separable (Kleinman-Bylander) PP.
Open Source/GPL package which can write norm-conserving pseudopotentials for a number of DFT programs including ABINIT, PWSCF and CASTEP. Potentials can be constructed using the Troullier-Martins or RRKJ/Optimized approach.
- APE – Atomic Pseudopotential Engine
A recently released GPL pseudopotential generator, generating PP in Hamann and Troullier-Martins forms, for SIESTA, Octopus, ABINIT, and PWscf codes.
- David Vanderbilt USPP
- ATOMPAW – PAW pseudopotential generation code (Natalie Holzwarth)
- Virtual Vault for PP
NNIN reference page for pseudopotentials